Movie Thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.

Re: Movie Thread

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:15 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:58 am
Rushy wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:52 pm
Looking forward to watching the Hellraiser films, despite their terrible reputation. Doge Bradley seems like a total badass.
You're going to have a much better time with that series than TCM. Unlike most horror series, Hellraiser is mostly good or at least really entertaining. I only remember one of them being actually terrible.
I would say a good chunk of the DTV sequels are pretty bad. The ones with Henry Cavil and Kari Wurher were especially egregious. That goofy one about the corrupt detective too.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:43 pm

At worst, some are camp. There's only one I actually didn't like in any way. I didn't see the very last one, though. For the most part they are an entertaining watch for one reason or another. As a series of horror movies Hellraiser might just be the best. Halloween has some really boring entries, Nightmare on Elmstreet and Texas Chainsaw Massacre have some really, really bad ones.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

TheManWithNoPlan

Post by TheManWithNoPlan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:19 pm

Saw England is Mine the film about Morrissey before he formed the Smiths. It was okay, the guy playing Morrissey does a really good impression even if he looks nothing like the guy. Probably wouldn't recommend to anybody but Morrissey fans like me.

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:35 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:43 pm
At worst, some are camp. There's only one I actually didn't like in any way. I didn't see the very last one, though. For the most part they are an entertaining watch for one reason or another. As a series of horror movies Hellraiser might just be the best. Halloween has some really boring entries, Nightmare on Elmstreet and Texas Chainsaw Massacre have some really, really bad ones.
You have to give Elm Street this: with the sole exception of the remake, all of them have Robert Englund's charisma and the surreal nature of the plot to fall back on. Even the really crap ones had something interesting going on.

Texas Chainsaw's main problem was that Tobe Hooper did both a horror and comedy version of the same story, not to mention kill off the family, so it left the sequels nothing. The rest of them are all bizarre reboots.

I did enjoy Halloween, as it tried to build some kind of a coherent narrative and only really suffered due to producer interference in the 90s that killed the fifth and sixth movies, and caused Resurrection to follow after H20's legacyquel.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:26 pm

I haven't seen the last Hellraiser, either, the one that cost like $200 and was made just to keep the rights. Sounds awesome, though. There's a new one with Nancy from Elm Street that's been delayed forever. I can't imagine it's any good. (The guy who plays Pinhead refused to participate it's so bad.)

Speaking of Nightmare, how awesome was the fourth one? That hot blonde badass chick getting dressed for the final battle was sexy as fuck. Too bad she didn't really have a career after the movies.

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:30 pm

Rewatched both Trainspotting films. The first one's still an upbeat, dark comedy classic.

The newer one is hard to judge. I like how it tears apart modern nostalgia, and explores Renton's friends a lot more, but it mostly drops the comedy in favor of depressing midlife crisis, which is... well, depressing. And a bit forced(in the original, it felt like they were all their own people who just happened to end up together, which is quite true to real life whereas here, they were downright obsessed with one another to the exclusion of anything else).

Basically, it's like if Ghostbusters 2 was a drama where Bill Murray tries to find meaning in his life and the ghosts took a backdrop to the deep relationship between him and his teammates.
Kugelfisch wrote:

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:59 pm

Rushy wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:30 pm
Basically, it's like if Ghostbusters 2 was a drama where Bill Murray tries to find meaning in his life and the ghosts took a backdrop to the deep relationship between him and his teammates.
Sounds like a Nolan-style reboot.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:32 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:59 pm
Rushy wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:30 pm
Sounds like a Nolan-style reboot.
If the Burton films were still canon and the same actors returned.
Kugelfisch wrote:

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:04 am

Hellraiser was terrific. It's a shame that Barker hasn't become more known for his direction, as he has a great sense of atmosphere.
I can see why the sequels turned crappy though, as the film is so intricately constructed(the BDSM themes, the complex rules of the Lament Configuration) that it could never work as an ongoing series.

The only minor complaint I'd have is that the ending was a bit of a cop-out. But overall, it was a great experience and a truly imaginative piece of art.
Kugelfisch wrote:

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:39 pm

The series at least didn't take a straight nosedive.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!