Movie Thread

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Throne of Dysentery

Re: Movie Thread

Post by Throne of Dysentery » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:16 am

Liar Revealed wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:02 am
Due to the easy availability of online movie reviews (including Rotten Tomatoes), I've been able to avoid the big Hollywood stinkers.
Back in the day you only had Siskel and Ebert, and some film snob wannabe in your local newspaper. Sometimes they were correct, but other times they trashed movies that actually turned out to be good when I'd rent them on VHS.

We basically judged by the trailer and any word of mouth we'd hear. I still ended up seeing so much bullshit when we were teens in the '90s. I remember my friends and I going to see absolute crap like Johnny Mnemonic, Tank Girl, Cool World, Sliver, the Schumaker Batman films, Judge Dredd, etc. Doge is right about that era being shit for film. He is wrong about it being better today though.
Ha, I actually like all the movies you listed, but I like objectively bad films as much as I like art-house cinema, and everything in between.

I think modern filmmaking overall is uninspired and dull but I vehemently disagree about the ‘90s being a terrible decade for movies.
I never sold my Daewoo. I kept getting low-balled and said fuck it. I’m going to keep it and watch it soar in value!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:24 pm

At least the 90s weren't bland as fuck. I'm very far from some 90s kid that thinks the decade was great. I can appreciate the style of it because it was just so incredibly awful that it's funny in hindsight. But at least they weren't as stupifying bland as cinema and the overall style today is.
Now the 80s, that's style I actually think is great. I want to drive to the cinema in a Testarossa, wearing a Rolex President (full gold Daydate) while listening to synth to watch an 80s macho action flick with one-liners. :lol:
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Throne of Dysentery

Post by Throne of Dysentery » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:21 pm

Indelible classics came out in the ‘90s, and in the ‘80s, and in the ‘70s, and in the ‘60s.........basically what I’m saying is, every decade aside from this current one has produced far superior cinema.
I never sold my Daewoo. I kept getting low-balled and said fuck it. I’m going to keep it and watch it soar in value!

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:56 pm

Seems like lots of 80s horror franchises are making a comeback this year or the next. There's a new Texas Chainsaw Massacre prequel about baby Leatherface. Jamie Lee Curtis has signed on for a new Halloween sequel(that John Carpenter supports, which is a big change). Hellraiser is due for another cash-in, although this one does sound like it has some effort put into the Cenobites, maybe another visit to the Hell Dimension a la Hellraiser 2. Cult Of Chucky, of course.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

Rushy
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Rushy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:04 pm

Oh, and apparently Linda Hamilton's back for another Terminator as well. Crikey, the nostalgia bug is getting to everyone now.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh there will be fucker for sure.

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:22 am

But they killed off Sarah Connor in T3. Or did Genesys undo that? I never bothered to see that one.
お前はもう死んでいる。

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:40 am

Liar Revealed wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:22 am
But they killed off Sarah Connor in T3. Or did Genesys undo that? I never bothered to see that one.
Undid that. In short the timeline was altered because a reprogrammed T-800 and Sarah Connors destroyed the original T-800 so the previous timeline is gone, Kyle Reese and them go to 2017, kill the original John Connors who was made into a T-3000 by the T-5000 that attacked him when Kyle was being sent back, they blow Cyberdine, ride into the sunset. Oh and a mid credits scene show that Skynet system core survived the explosion so they failed.

I had to look it up and that wasn't all the stupid shit that happened
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:02 am

Robot John Connor is enough to make me not see it. They tried to pull that crap in (the forgettable) T4, but someone wisely made them change it.
John Connor being a (hu)man and a leader if men is the most important thing about his character. Making him a robot is like the dumbest thing you could possibly do.
お前はもう死んでいる。

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Post by Charlar » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:56 am

Liar Revealed wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:02 am
Robot John Connor is enough to make me not see it. They tried to pull that crap in (the forgettable) T4, but someone wisely made them change it.
John Connor being a (hu)man and a leader if men is the most important thing about his character. Making him a robot is like the dumbest thing you could possibly do.
I think their was a creepy scene where his parents were made to fuck John has to be born to fix or stabilize the timeline? I read something like that the year it came out
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:52 am

It's like the franchise was only good for two movies (maybe three if they made one set during the future that doesn't suck ass) before the time shenanigans got really stupid.
Rushy wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:56 pm
Seems like lots of 80s horror franchises are making a comeback this year or the next. There's a new Texas Chainsaw Massacre prequel about baby Leatherface.
Sure, a horror prequel movie (over-)explaining the origins of a horror movie icon is totally necessary.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette