Musicians and such

Shitpost central. Also known as the Ratfuck and Mucha containment board.
MegaNigger
Blackpill Merchant

Musicians and such

Post by MegaNigger » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:43 pm

Wondering who all on this site has musical talent and the like. I've played guitar for 12 years and toured a bit.

Anyone else have some experience in playing music or running sound? Cool stories?
-The user formerly known as CIANigger

mad bum
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Musicians and such

Post by mad bum » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:43 am

SpoilerShow
phpBB [video]

MegaNigger
Blackpill Merchant

Post by MegaNigger » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:25 pm

Guess I'm DHI''s defacto music man then.

Bad News Bunnyman

Post by Bad News Bunnyman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:35 pm

CIANIgger wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:25 pm
Do you come from far away?

MegaNigger
Blackpill Merchant

Post by MegaNigger » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:40 pm

Bad News Bunnyman wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:35 pm
CIANIgger wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:25 pm
Do you come from far away?
Oh SO far away.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:56 pm

Did you walk 500 miles?
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

MegaNigger
Blackpill Merchant

Post by MegaNigger » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:23 pm

I'm in the corner in the falling rain

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:36 pm

I play guitar, bass, play acoustic-hand drums (IE: Bongo, Conga, Djembe, etc), do vocals, and eventually plan on working on piano.

I'm not the greatest at any of them and can only improv with my vocals (as in if you ask me to do improv harmony I can do it as long as there's only one or two other voices) and bass. Acoustic drums don't leave a lot of room for rolls and fills... at least ones that are interesting sounding and don't just sound like a lot of noise.

I'm more of a jam session kind of guy than a guy who would join a band and tour but that's also out of medical necessity. I used to do music for my church, that I am no longer a part of, for almost 10 years as both a musician and the band leader and that was one of the most frustrating experiences in my life. Seemed near impossible to communicate what I wanted musically to them despite all of them, except one, claiming to be musicians.

I also didn't grow up listening to much but the pop radio stations and my mother's country station when I was in the car. It wasn't until I started dating my wife, 6 years ago, that I even got exposed to much of the, "good stuff," beyond the well known stuff like Don't Stop Believing.
"I currently have 274 pounds of lean mass. My nurse explained that since she'd just seen me walk a quarter mile that I basically was ripped underneath all of this fat." - Arnold Boogienigger

MegaNigger
Blackpill Merchant

Post by MegaNigger » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:43 pm

Stranger wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:36 pm
I play guitar, bass, play acoustic-hand drums (IE: Bongo, Conga, Djembe, etc), do vocals, and eventually plan on working on piano.

I'm not the greatest at any of them and can only improv with my vocals (as in if you ask me to do improv harmony I can do it as long as there's only one or two other voices) and bass. Acoustic drums don't leave a lot of room for rolls and fills... at least ones that are interesting sounding and don't just sound like a lot of noise.

I'm more of a jam session kind of guy than a guy who would join a band and tour but that's also out of medical necessity. I used to do music for my church, that I am no longer a part of, for almost 10 years as both a musician and the band leader and that was one of the most frustrating experiences in my life. Seemed near impossible to communicate what I wanted musically to them despite all of them, except one, claiming to be musicians.

I also didn't grow up listening to much but the pop radio stations and my mother's country station when I was in the car. It wasn't until I started dating my wife, 6 years ago, that I even got exposed to much of the, "good stuff," beyond the well known stuff like Don't Stop Believing.
Managing people is stressful enough. Now put 3-5 undeserved egos in a room together to organize sound, and you've got a true hell.

My favorite were the players who can't admit when they don't know something, pretend they can do it, then deflect and project their anger when they can't deliver.

Humility is valuable.

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:47 pm

CIANIgger wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:43 pm
Managing people is stressful enough. Now put 3-5 undeserved egos in a room together to organize sound, and you've got a true hell.

My favorite were the players who can't admit when they don't know something, pretend they can do it, then deflect and project their anger when they can't deliver.

Humility is valuable.
I learned, early on, that there's always someone better. I learned it from a single semester High School guitar class taught by the band teacher. He taught us humility before he taught us anything else and I respect that man greatly for it.

But to expand on your favorite thing, there, I agree with you. My other favorites are the people who lead a band and ask you to do something you clearly can't do and then get upset with you when you try, anyway, and it doesn't turn out well even though you were doing the best you could, at the time.
Had that happen far too many times when I first started playing Bass and wasn't quite comfortable doing fills and got humiliated multiple times by the same guy when he'd ask me to do something complicated, tell me to just try it before I complained, then made comments about how bad I was at it like I wasn't doing the best I could given my skill level and how new the whole experience was for me.
"I currently have 274 pounds of lean mass. My nurse explained that since she'd just seen me walk a quarter mile that I basically was ripped underneath all of this fat." - Arnold Boogienigger