God or other powerful entities

Shitpost central. Also known as the Ratfuck and Mucha containment board.
Auli

Re: God or other powerful entities

Post by Auli » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:32 pm

I got so many different replies on Twitter.

Some said God can't cure cancer cuz mah free will... but wouldn't giving people cancer prevent muh free will?

One said that I'd want God to be real so he could punish people who killed someone i liked if he ran away and no authorities could deal with it. But... if God dealt with it, would muh free will be violated?

If the world was created without cancer in the first place, this discussion would be pointless.It

It's just kinda annoying that everyone seem to interpret the Bible and have different opinions about God, so you can't really have a coherent belief system. Just believe whateverthefuck you want at the level you want.
Kugelfisch wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:04 pm
I don't believe in anything super natural at all. I don't mind if people do, although depending on what exactly it is they believe in I may find it anything from silly to foolish.
I do very much mind doctrines and cunts trying to push them on me. Islam deserves nothing but complete eradication. People say that that's supposedly not possible but religions have died before and it was often done by force. There are schools of thought that society eventually will have to take at face value and decide that they aren't worth having around any longer.
Agreed. People can believe what they want as long as they don't shove it in my or other's face.
I'm in your bedroom, folding your clothes.

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:49 pm

RE: Islam

Islam and its doctrines are where I draw the line of my live and let live. Obviously it's because their radical idiots don't let others live so my respect stops there.

RE: People interpreting the Bible differently

Blame the many various translations that everyone insists are fully correct yet have been proven to even have incorrect references to earlier passages, at times (SEE: NIV). There's also the fact that the English language is so non-specific that sometimes using the correct word will change the meaning of a passage entirely (the word, "love," for example).

The main point that you should take away from everything is that throughout the Bible there was a clear indication that God rarely, if ever, simply cured things or gave things to people for absolute free. Almost at all times it was required that you do something or you put forth a concerted effort to get it and then God would step in and help you out when it mattered or finish the job for you.

Faith healing is something that I severely doubt and I've only seen one case of it where I couldn't explain what happened or why the guy who couldn't talk for years could suddenly talk, but there are always other possibilities to consider.
"I currently have 274 pounds of lean mass. My nurse explained that since she'd just seen me walk a quarter mile that I basically was ripped underneath all of this fat." - Arnold Boogienigger

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:39 pm

Any psychological condition can be "cured" via placebo.

You can even make people believe their legs don't hurt or that other physical problems are "cured". But what the faith healers don't show are the trips to the emergency rooms after the faith healing session is over.

And if faith healing worked so well, why would we keep finding so many fucking obvious scam artists with radio transmitters doing it? It's obviously an offshoot of cold reading. People who believe in faith healers are asking me to believe there's some 1% of legitimacy out there in the ocean of blindingly-clear scam artist ops. These faith healer mofos beg for money more than DSP and they try to ransom people's health to do it.

Being against faith healing imo isn't like being against religious people in general or God or Gods. Being against faith healing means being against con men, which is the definition of DHI for me. : D Where you stand on faith healing doesn't mean shit to the overall religious question, because these hacks are obviously liars and dangerous frauds. Much like the fuckers in Africa who "hunt witches" and perform exorcisms with blood rituals.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:46 pm

I have experience with one aspect of faith healing, in a personal sense, actually.

You know that part where the people, "fall over," and they're usually shaking a bit because they're just, "lost in worship," or something?

I was a worship leader in my church for about 10 years. I view worship music as a way to focus in on meditation on God much in the same way as I view prayer as just meditating with words-- you speak to keep yourself focused and such (no I won't go into my beliefs on what prayer does or doesn't accomplish, that's personal).
While at a youth convention where I was a chaperone for the youth group I remember particularly enjoying the selection of music they were playing and happened to have my eyes closed, hands raised, all of that hoo-hah that you normally see associated with church folk. I distinctly remember dealing with some really nasty emotional issues at the time and the leader calls out for raised hands if you need prayer so I did.

Within minutes I'm surrounded by about 10 people, all with terrible breath, all praying really loudly and putting their hands all over me. Shortly thereafter there's someone behind me and the guy in front of me jabs me in the chest to get me to fall over and then the guy behind me sets me down gently and they all walk away.

Upon sharing this experience with other people within my church I learned that quite a few of them have had similar experiences. They call it, "being slain in the spirit," and it's one of the most fake aspects I've ever seen and experienced in my life.
"I currently have 274 pounds of lean mass. My nurse explained that since she'd just seen me walk a quarter mile that I basically was ripped underneath all of this fat." - Arnold Boogienigger

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:47 pm

Burger Christianity is weird.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Stranger

Post by Stranger » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:53 pm

I'm almost 100% certain that some dude over here sits down and is like, "what's the hottest new religious trend we can come up with?"
Then some other dude is like, "we'll push people over and claim it's an act of God!"

Then they put it on TV and the scammier preachers latch on to it and then it trickles down to other churches/gatherings as it goes. It's really only in the larger gatherings and congregations that you see stuff like that. When I was 15 or so I went to a very small church (it was basically just in a dude's house) and none of that fancy stuff happened. It was just a bit of music, a bit of prayer, a bit of Bible reading, a bit of discussion, and then everyone went home after they socialized for a short time.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:26 pm

Not sure if this could qualify as sexual harrassment...
Auli wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:32 pm
I got so many different replies on Twitter.

Some said God can't cure cancer cuz mah free will... but wouldn't giving people cancer prevent muh free will?

One said that I'd want God to be real so he could punish people who killed someone i liked if he ran away and no authorities could deal with it. But... if God dealt with it, would muh free will be violated?

If the world was created without cancer in the first place, this discussion would be pointless.It
Free will is a bit odd if you only have it because an omnipotent being decided to pull a Spoony and do nothing.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Pope Corky III

Post by Pope Corky III » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:49 pm

This is the extent of my spirituality.

da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:14 pm
He may have caught it at the same Bilderberg-Illuminati meeting as Prince Albert in a Can. I guess lizardmen aren't immune.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:22 am

Is your reason also erectile dysfunction?
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Pope Corky III

Post by Pope Corky III » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:12 am

Get away from me bitch! :lol:
da PAC Nigguh wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:14 pm
He may have caught it at the same Bilderberg-Illuminati meeting as Prince Albert in a Can. I guess lizardmen aren't immune.