Fighting Games

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Fighting Games

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:29 pm

Not enough pedobait? But what if you de-age everyone to like 10?!

And man, JoJo x Arcana Heart x Persona. The mere thought of this crossover is un-bear-able.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:36 pm

I've finished the story mode of Tekken 7 and all the character chapters today. I haven't played arcade mode yet, though.
The story mode is all about the Mishimas and explains a couple of things, mostly the relationship between Heihachi and Kazuya and how stuff came to be as it was.
Overall a pretty good story. The fights aren't regular matches, which I'm not the biggest fan of, since the opponents are cheating. I don't mean regular AI button-reading but rather them having tons of armor and some fights requiring you to end them in certain ways that aren't always readily apparent. I even needed to look up the last fight since I didn't quite get what the game wanted from me.

The character chapters are just single fights with a text explaining why the character is taking part in the tournament or why they are not and a short ending video after the fight.
Thing is, nobody actually wins the tournament in canon so you don't get those "this would've happened if this character won the tournament" videos. Pretty unsatisfying. Most of those short videos are goofy. It feels like they didn't intend to have the regular format that Tekken usually has and instead totally relies on the Mishima story.

An interesting thing in the story mode is that you get an assist system, based on the difficulty you chose. At easy you can just mash a single button and get an autocombo, on normal you get an assist button that you can hold down and then press one of the four attack buttons to get a move each. For Mishimas for example you get an EWGF on 1.
I used that feature for Alisa since I don't know any of her shit and didn't feel like learning her at that moment and fuck around with the move list.
For Heihachi I only used it in the super cheap battles to get reliable EWGF punishes since I'm far from being competent at those. It did seem like the assisted moves do less damage, though. A regular EWGF that I tried in the last fight seemed to be more effective and just regularly beating the opponent up seemed a ton more effective.

Story mode is worth a playthrough for the story and the titles you get for completing it. I don't know if I'll ever attempt a run on the highest difficulty since the game is bullshit enough on normal.
A clear highlight is the fight with Heihachi and Kazuya against the fuckload of Jack units from the Kazuya ending of Tekken 3. It's not the only moment like that where you get to play stuff you've only seen in cinematics before. I found that super cool! It's getting worse towards the end, though.

Something I didn't expect and don't like at all is that none of the other character's stories get resolved at all. Did you want to find out if Gigas really is Marduk? Too bad, all you get is him recognizing Katharina. That's it. It's like that's only going to come in the next game or maybe later down the road as DLC. A new game mode is supposed to come so we'll see if that will resolve any kinda story or be a fun mode like Tekken Ball.

I have heard that arcade mode is as basic as you'd expect and doesn't give one a proper ending video. I'm a bit miffed about that. I'll run an attempt tomorrow with Heihachi.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Seele

Post by Seele » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:39 am

Alright, I feel intrigued to pick up Tekken 7 sooner than I thought. Maybe it isn't that mediocre after all. Fingers crossed.
God's in his Heaven/All's right with the world

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:24 am

Kugelfisch wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:36 pm
Overall a pretty good story. The fights aren't regular matches, which I'm not the biggest fan of, since the opponents are cheating. I don't mean regular AI button-reading but rather them having tons of armor and some fights requiring you to end them in certain ways that aren't always readily apparent. I even needed to look up the last fight since I didn't quite get what the game wanted from me.
I hope the game doesn't pull a Guilty Gear and gives its overpowered bosses regenerating fucking health. That's a special kind of dick move.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:06 pm

The health only "regenerates" as an excuse to not have rounds. It's more multiple phases. Yours regenerates as well, of course.
The unfairness is stuff like moves having super armor that actually don't in the normal game, armored moves defeating grabs, which is the hard counter to them in the regular game as one can't tech throws when grabbed during an armored move, and some enemies having unlimited rage while you get rage once and when it's gone it's gone.

I'll see in arcade mode later today how the AI is in regular matches. I've played quite a bit of Treasure Mode which has regular matches and the AI's progression in difficulty seems to be really smooth, getting tougher little by little with each rank you gain.
Ranks are per character and your offline rank is separated from your online rank. That's good because you won't suddenly get matched with really good players, just because you gained ranks against the AI or have to fight in high ranks with a character new to you.
Although, currently you can expect to get your shit kicked in online even in low ranks. It'll take a while until the really good players have left the low ranks with their characters. Some encounter dudes perfectly korean backdashing in beginner ranks.
Skill levels are reportedly lower in friendly matches for that reason.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:28 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:29 pm
Not enough pedobait?
Well, there's this, I guess...
お前はもう死んでいる。

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:44 pm

Aaaww, shiiieeet. KoF just released on Steam. I'll have to install my other SSD before I have enough space, though.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:58 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:06 pm

I'll see in arcade mode later today how the AI is in regular matches. I've played quite a bit of Treasure Mode which has regular matches and the AI's progression in difficulty seems to be really smooth, getting tougher little by little with each rank you gain.
That's good. One of the problems I had with TTT2 was the abrupt shift in CPU difficulty in single-player modes. It actually made the arcade mode + final boss forms (and their bullshit attacks) quite a bit easier to deal with than the default vs CPU mode. Once you got to around green rank, the computer would just start decimating you instantly with sick input reads. After 10 perfect callout counters in a row, you lose your will to keep playing.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:44 pm

I went straight to the garage, pillaged my old SSD, kickflipped it into my current PC, formatted that shit and just finished downloading KOF. I've fucked around in the training mode for a bit with Iori and Terry. So far, so good. It definitively feels like KOF. Character versions seem to be classic. Iori has got his flames and characters seem to function as you'd expect them to from 98.
Off to playing Tekken 7 arcade mode.

By the way, I'm watching The Recipe from CrossCounterTV with my trial time right now. When the episode with Injustice 2 and Tekken 7 comes out on YT, be sure to check it out. Injustice 2 is such a cheesy pile of wank it's incredible. As if somebody took a look at MK and thought long and hard how to make it as shit as possible. It's so lame it's actually hilarious.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:58 pm

We did remember to shit on Injustice here, right? I think I remember that. :D Like I said, I was ok with MK9 and MKX but Injustice seems super worthless.

I'll be sure to watch that.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome