PC Herrenrasse

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

PC Herrenrasse

Post by Kugelfisch » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:32 pm

I thought we had a general PC hardware thread. I guess that was on 2.0.
Anyway, I'm currently doing some light upgrading to my PC. I've ordered another SSD with 500GB capacity since the one I've ripped out of my old PC was only 125GB and my original 250GB has the system on it and it full to the brim with trash. That will soon all disappear, though.

Because I also upgraded my memory. 8GB of RAM was enough for quite a while and I could deal with it but I thought RAM would be the easiest thing to upgrade. I took a look at what my mainboard can deal with, what I have currently installed and got something fitting. 16GB in the form of two 8GB Corsair Vengeance to add to my existing 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP.
After forcing my mainboard to accept reality and run the old RAM at the max of 1600mHz, which it didn't for some reason causing the new RAM being throttled down, everything was fine and dandy. 24GB, here I come!
Or so I thought. Turns out, Win7 Home is a cunt and handles 16GB max for no good reason.
Thus, I just bought a used Win7 Ultimate disk. Everything will get erradicated but that's okay since I don't have that much important shit on my PC either. I will backup everything I want to keep on my 2TB HD.

Win10 can go suck a dick. I ain't installing that shit in a thousand years. I'll get 7, install necessary updates, disable the botnet they call telemetry and disable updates. DX12 is garbage anyway.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Charlar
DHI's Resident Pussy

Re: PC Herrenrasse

Post by Charlar » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:45 pm

Kugelfisch wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:32 pm
I thought we had a general PC hardware thread. I guess that was on 2.0.
Anyway, I'm currently doing some light upgrading to my PC. I've ordered another SSD with 500GB capacity since the one I've ripped out of my old PC was only 125GB and my original 250GB has the system on it and it full to the brim with trash. That will soon all disappear, though.

Because I also upgraded my memory. 8GB of RAM was enough for quite a while and I could deal with it but I thought RAM would be the easiest thing to upgrade. I took a look at what my mainboard can deal with, what I have currently installed and got something fitting. 16GB in the form of two 8GB Corsair Vengeance to add to my existing 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP.
After forcing my mainboard to accept reality and run the old RAM at the max of 1600mHz, which it didn't for some reason causing the new RAM being throttled down, everything was fine and dandy. 24GB, here I come!
Or so I thought. Turns out, Win7 Home is a cunt and handles 16GB max for no good reason.
Thus, I just bought a used Win7 Ultimate disk. Everything will get erradicated but that's okay since I don't have that much important shit on my PC either. I will backup everything I want to keep on my 2TB HD.

Win10 can go suck a dick. I ain't installing that shit in a thousand years. I'll get 7, install necessary updates, disable the botnet they call telemetry and disable updates. DX12 is garbage anyway.
7 does it's job well enough, 10 is a datamining tool and say pretty much that in the terms of services they will take your information
-On the internet, everyone end up being Spoony or Tim Buckley
-All fanbases are shit
-Most people had, have and will have shit tastes

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:06 am

There's that and then there's the OS just performing worse or exactly the same. There is absolutely no point in "upgrading" from 7. All 10 has is DX12 and DX12 is barely supported and performs slightly worse without any visual gain.
I've been using Windows since 95 and if that taught me anything it's that you don't switch from a stable and working Windows version to a new one until that new one is rock solid.

I've been having trouble with Steam I've never had before since I put in my old SSD. I'm starting to think it's the cause for it.
Steam bitches about not being able to connect to the Steam Network. Only offline mode works. If I clear the download cache in Steam I can then log in and it works.
I've re-installed Steam and it worked normally for a couple of restarts but now that issue is back again. I think the SSD is fucked. I should get the new one tomorrow. I was originally planning to use the small one for the system exclusively but I guess I'll take it out entirely.

I've had a suspicion of it being somewhat messed up to begin with. It's why I didn't install it when I built a new PC. I suppose the five years in the garage in the old tower didn't do it any good either.

I've also taken out the old RAM for now. I got regular stutters in Windows but not in games. Right now the stutters are away. I suppose I can get rid of those stutters by messing around with the latency and such but since I can't use any more than 16GB for now anyway I might as well take them out.

Believe it or not, this is actually fun for me. I haven't been doing any PC stuff for over five years now, besides replacing my Titan when it broke. I'm the kinda guy that doesn't touch a system at all once it's running well. Also a reason I never bothered to try the small SSD since then. Didn't need it, everything worked so I didn't want to introduce a possible source of problems.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:00 pm

Seems like I don't even need to reinstall Windows to upgrade from 7 Home Premium to Ultimate. I just need the product key and it will just unlock the Ultimate features.
Good thing I bought it used so MS doesn't get a penny.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:14 pm

Stupid on-disc DLC.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:06 pm

Pretty much. There's no real reason for Home Pro not supporting more than 16GB other than MS wanting more money.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:14 pm

I can assume we're all using Windows 7, right? Or maybe Linux or some hipster shit like that?

I'm never putting fucking Windows 10 or any of that tablet cancer on my computers.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:33 pm

Never change a running system. I will stick with 7 until absolutely all support for it is over and I have to switch. If MS don't have their shit together by then I'll likely go with Linux. Gaming is shaping up nicely on Linux and might be viable as a main OS in a couple of years. We'll see.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:47 pm

8.1 here, 0 complaints and wont ever upgrade to that spyware.10
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine

AngrySpoonySnob

Post by AngrySpoonySnob » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:48 pm

Im looking to upgrade my 8gb ram to 16gm ram in a month or 2 as well and then Im set with my pc for at least 5 years.
Respect my gangsta
- Wackashi Snitchnine