PC Herrenrasse

Talk about the life consuming, celibacy inducing hobby that is all the rage these days.
Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Re: PC Herrenrasse

Post by Kugelfisch » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Even for browsing and scrolling through text files it's much more pleasant.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

Some Sick Fuck
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Some Sick Fuck » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:58 pm

Certainly, it's absolutely smooth. Not that it's that important, but it is pleasant.

Blessed are the shitposters, for they will be called children of the Sperg.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:07 pm

Just earlier today I jumped into a mission in Warframe and instantly something felt off. For whatever reason, the game had my framerate locked at 60 FPS. Constant 60 without any dips but it still felt jittery and laggy. Especially in a fast game like that it's really noticeable if you go back from 144 to 60 FPS, even when the framerate is rock solid.

Whoever claims it's not noticeable is full of shit or a bit slow in the head.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Some Sick Fuck
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Some Sick Fuck » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:14 pm

Never underestimate people's abilities to not notice stuff. A lot of people don't care to a point where they are proud of being ignorant. I ocassionally play Wildlands with a friend (it's a long game) and I can't get the game to run higher than 70 on high settings even with 1080 - it's not bad, but I certainly can feel it compared to Cuckfield 1 that I'm playing just fine on 200 FPS.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:45 am

Optimization is a lost art to many devs. Warframe never dips below the set 144 even with seven other people and loads of particle effects going off everywhere.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:40 pm

After my Ducky Shine 6 breaking, I made do with a shitty 10 bucks USB keyboard for the last two weeks. I was occasionally looking for a new keyboard. My goals were:
- Mechanical
- Cherry MX Blue Switches
- PS2
- As little dumb bullshit as possible
- Reasonable pricing

My results were fucking nothing. PS2 is barely around anymore for starters. I don't fall for your "n-key rollover" meme, USB keyboards. I know USB doesn't allow for that to it's full extend and actually had problems with that once.
Lots of producers now have their own switches. They may be fine, but I'm not going to go for them if I can't test them out myself.
Most keyboards are just cheaply made or cluttered with multimedia garbage buttons all over the place. I never needed those.

So I got myself an IBM Model M again. Refurbished from ebay, for less than gaymen companies want to have for their cheap shit with blinky lights.
I was looking into a Unicomp as well but there's only one company that sells them in Germany and they only carry the USB variant. I don't want to pay import taxes on one ordered directly from Unicomp. A bit of a shame, since they offer them in the awesome black with grey and white keys but I won't settle for USB.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Some Sick Fuck
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Some Sick Fuck » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:27 pm

Why PS2 to begin with? What it does better than USB? I have to say I was impressed to see that my motherboard still has PS2 port.

I went with Coolermaster, I think I have Masterkey Pro S, basically I have tenkeyless which performs decently. But it wasn't cheap.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:41 pm

UBS can't into actual n-Key rollover, even if many manufacturers claim it does. If you just want a regular keyboard without any media buttons then PS2 is just far superior. USB has to go through all those controllers, PS2 directly goes to the CPU.
In terms of practical advantage it's only in some cases where you have to press many keys at once or in very rapid succession. I've had commands swallowed by USB before and that's just annoying.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:45 pm

Why do you need the N key so much?

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:18 pm

Guest wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:45 pm
Why do you need the N key so much?
I can never tell with you guests if you're serious or not.
SpoilerShow
I am the white ghost!