Series on the Interwebs: What have you watched? Tips for people?

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.

Re: Series on the Interwebs: What have you watched? Tips for people?

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:54 pm

Tips for people? Like, you don't know if you want tips for people. You really don't make any sense.

Recently watched The Men Who Built America. It's a mini-series about the early titans of industry: Vanderbilt, JP Morgan, Rockefeller, Ford, etc. Very cool, very pro business/capitalism, even has Trump and Carly Fiorina (looking pretty MILFY) as talking heads. Of course it was made in 2012. If anyone tried to make it today they'd be brought up on charges and sent to the camps.

The Knick 1 & 2 are also pretty manly. About a drug-addict doctor railing Irish sluts when he isn't railing Asian whores and inventing new medical techniques and generally being awesome. Cancelled after a crazy cliffhanger. The last thing Soderberg did before he went completely beta.

veris leta facies

Post by veris leta facies » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:15 am

Auli wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:54 pm
Das Boot we watched in school when we were... uh, 14 or something? At that age, it was pretty boring. Didn't really pay attention.
Das Boot is way beyond the attention span of an average 14-year-old, but kudos to your teacher for that highfalutin attempt to enlighten his/her pupils!
VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:12 pm
Give it a try. Your matured brain will probably react more positively.
About the ending of Das Boot

** SPOILERS **

Do you feel the ending (British aerial attack destroying the harbor and killing everyone) was added there out of political pressure? Like it would have been too controversial (at that time, at least) to end it with German soldiers triumph at the end?

Edit: Fucking spoiler tags won't work on this board.
When passing through the Valley of Humiliation, slaves and dastards, exposing their sores, sob aloud for consolation and sympathy.

Auli

Post by Auli » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:05 pm

Guest wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:54 pm
Tips for people? Like, you don't know if you want tips for people. You really don't make any sense.

Recently watched The Men Who Built America. It's a mini-series about the early titans of industry: Vanderbilt, JP Morgan, Rockefeller, Ford, etc. Very cool, very pro business/capitalism, even has Trump and Carly Fiorina (looking pretty MILFY) as talking heads. Of course it was made in 2012. If anyone tried to make it today they'd be brought up on charges and sent to the camps.
Eh, just want people to give their series-tips to other people.

Hah! Even muttering TRU---- will get you labelled a Nazi nowadays.

I should really watch more mini-series. I like them not short, but not long.
I'm in your bedroom, folding your clothes.

Throne of Dysentery

Post by Throne of Dysentery » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:11 pm

VoiceOfReasonPast wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:12 pm
Auli wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:54 pm
Das Boot we watched in school when we were... uh, 14 or something? At that age, it was pretty boring. Didn't really pay attention. I've heard it's actually good, though.
Give it a try. Your matured brain will probably react more positively.

And speaking of war stuff: Al Quiet on the Western Front. The really old one from 1920ish. It's a bit like Full Metal Jacket in that the beginning is mostly fun and camp, but then shit gets real.
Yes and some more yes for All Quiet on the Western Front. It's timeless in its agonizing portrayal of war, and features one of the best downbeat endings in film history.
I never sold my Daewoo. I kept getting low-balled and said fuck it. I’m going to keep it and watch it soar in value!

Auli

Post by Auli » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:25 pm

Talking about downbeat endings... my brother has watched The Mist-series and we both laughed hard remembering The Mist-movie ending :D

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:00 pm

There's a Mist series?!
veris leta facies wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:15 am
** SPOILERS **
Fuck if I know. Could be the general perception of "war sucks, and then you die". I can't even think of many (German) war films with a happy ending, unless they're like about civilians or something.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Auli

Post by Auli » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:20 pm

The Mist series is Netflix Original.

Kugelfisch
The white ghost

Post by Kugelfisch » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:24 pm

veris leta facies wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:15 am
About the ending of Das Boot

** SPOILERS **
Nah, not really. You're misjudging how Germany sees itself in that regard. While it's true that you'll likely never see a German movie about war in that time that portrays the Nazis as the good guys, that doesn't count for all the soldiers.
Most soldiers were in the Wehrmacht and the overwhelming majority were drafted with pretty much no say in it. Unless you fancy a free train ride for you and your family, you went. People know that. The Wehrmacht and it's soldiers aren't portrayed as monsters or something. That's reserved for the SS. Not even the Waffen SS but the regular, non-fighting SS.

And that doesn't even have much to do with propaganda. You didn't accidentally land in the SS, went from house to house and dished out death threads for sometimes next to no reason. But you did end up on the frontlines against your will.
In fact, you can't really get away with portraying the Wehrmacht negatively in a German movie. You're talking about the fathers and grandfathers of pretty much everyone here. People still know how things were.

So why isn't there a happy ending? Because that's not really how it went in reality, is it? The ending reflects what happened. It's a cautionary tale about the eternal anglo.
SpoilerShow
Cannons bray, the mighty quake!
Centuries of blood becomes erased!
I am the white ghost!

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:45 pm

The difference is the SS were the political soldiers aka true believers. Normal soldiers were just fucking dudes.

Even a lot of the SS brahs probably didn't know most of the shit with jews and war crimes.

Anyway Das Boot is a fucking amazing movie.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:27 pm

It's kinda like the difference between Finn and Tarkin. One is an expendable pawn, the other likes to blow shit up for the evulz.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette