Hollywood Rehashings (Nostalgia fucking blows...)

Music, Movies, just about anything that isn't gaming related but is still entertainment goes here.
Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Re: Hollywood Rehashings (Nostalgia fucking blows...)

Post by Liar Revealed » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:16 pm

Oh yeah, if there was any connection to music/bands/singers, it was changed. In some cases, you can see why they did it. If you have a character called Vanilla Ice, you're opening yourself up to a lawsuit. But how can someone own a single word like Echoes? They're overreacting.
お前はもう死んでいる。

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:33 pm

Filthy Acts at a Reasonable Price.

Capcum tried localizing the PS2 Part 5 game in Europe but couldn't because Araki wouldn't let them change the Stand names. Golden Experience in particular is an album by Prince who was really anal about copyrights since Warner trademarked his birthname.

VoiceOfReasonPast
Supreme Shitposter

Post by VoiceOfReasonPast » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:21 pm

Liar Revealed wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:16 pm
Oh yeah, if there was any connection to music/bands/singers, it was changed. In some cases, you can see why they did it. If you have a character called Vanilla Ice, you're opening yourself up to a lawsuit. But how can someone own a single word like Echoes? They're overreacting.
Even if you're overreacting, you could just shorten it to "Echo" or something.
Autism attracts more autism. Sooner or later, an internet nobody will attract the exact kind of fans - and detractors - he deserves.
-Yours Truly

4 wikia: static -> vignette

Liar Revealed
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Liar Revealed » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:51 pm

I don't mind as much when they purposefully mis-romanize something, like calling AC/DC "Esidisi". At least it sounds similar. I hate it when they change it to something else completely. And then there are bizarre, infuriating ones like Oingo and Boingo being translated to Zenyatta and Mondatta. Why change one copyrighted music reference into another!?!?
お前はもう死んでいる。

rabidtictac

Post by rabidtictac » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:18 pm

What bothers me more about the JoJo manga is when they censor words. There are a lot of comedy sunday funnies $*#(&%$ symbols in the JoJo manga for when Jotaro in particular was saying shit like "fucking hell." Just let it rock and let him say yare yare daze kuso yarou.

You can really tell they censored the swearing too, because Polnareff was allowed to say all kinds of swears in french, because of course us stupid burgers are too retarded to know what the blood of christ or mierde de foque batarde chriss de tabernac means. And yes I'm sure my spelling and grammar on that part is off lel. :lol:

So you have Polnareff over here saying the french equivalent of FUCKING SHIT FAGS COCK BALLS ASS and then JoJo is saying "give me a $%&*@ break." I fucking hate censorship. Deadman Wonderland was completely butchered by censors.
RAPEMAN wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 pm
>liberal: ban x
>trump: yeah ban x
>liberal: no bro x is awesome

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:25 am

Viz translation style is gay-ass rewrites in general. They censored a lot of goofy shit for their Shonen Jump line as well as their brandless shonen collection ("Zatch Bell" in particular keeping all the shit aspects of their 4kids tier dub and they didn't even finish it.)
It wasn't exclusive to them either, CMX supposedly had a heavily butchered Tenjou Tenge (I never read it) and Yen Press did a lot of bizarre shit with their LN lineup like that Spice & Wolf cover fiasco.
TL;DR don't buy translations ever

Johnny

Post by Johnny » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:53 am

Didn't they censored the later volumes of the Dragon Ball manga after they promised that it would be 100% uncensored with accurate translations/localizations when they started translating them? I know for a fact that they used that stupid Hercule name for Mr. Satan.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:23 am

I know they'd add censorship to reprints in order to sell Dragon Ball at Walmart for the spics. The "VizBig" 3-in-1 volume collections were just they're old translations stacked onto eachother, and the digital color editions are keeping the censorship too (but digital colored manga is iffy anyway.)
Manga or anime, no Dragon Ball release is never fucked up, not even in Japan.

Keith Chegwin
Supreme Shitposter

Post by Keith Chegwin » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:20 am

Guest wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:53 pm
C&D's don't mean shit for animu.
They do. I've seen a couple of sub groups either stop releasing a series or fold entirely because they don't want Funimation suing them, which Funimation have either done or tried to do several times in the past.
Guest wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:23 am
I thought the Kanzenban was pretty complete?
Kugelfisch wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:05 am
Imagine spending a billion US dollars to be a loser. Could've watched animu and be one for free.

Johnny

Post by Johnny » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:31 am

Guest wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:23 am
How were the Japanese releases fucked up? As far as I know, the only big change in the standard Dragon Ball paperbacks in Japan was the logo.